Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Seasonal Celebration: Blooms, Berries, Twigs, and Sprigs

I just added berries and a few evergreen sprigs to a locally grown flower
bouquet from Trader Joe's; then arranged them in a cool mercury glass pedestal bowl


It is hard to believe my late summer flowers are still hanging on in my garden even though it is Dec 12. With the cold monochrome colors of the season emerging in the natural open space surrounding my home, color still prevails against the gray frosty mornings in my garden. The blooming die-hards in my garden include: roses, blue bachelor’s buttons, black-eyed Susans, zinnias., marigolds, and coreopsis among other varieties.  However, it is time to prune, as most are fragile from the morning frosts, and look to bringing in the abundance of this season’s robust evergreens for bouquets and seasonal decor.

Winter in Woods near my Home

Color Prevails in my Garden
Dec 11, 2012
On your neighborhood walks or hikes take a moment to appreciate and discover the evergreen branches and bright bursts of color found in a variety of berries and fruits that hang like ornaments.  Bring these berries, twigs, and sprigs into your home to create festive seasonal decorations; and sometimes you can find them in your own backyard. Below are just a few colorful berries found in my garden:





I have already begun to gather trimmed evergreen branches from the local Christmas tree lot, and pick bright bunches of berries from my yard to create wonderful seasonal arrangements.  For centuries, evergreens branches have been gathered as garlands and wreaths to celebrate life during this cold barren season. I have been having fun using them in seasonal table arrangements.  See some of my recent favorites!


Ice Will Reveal by Julia Dvorin Book Launch Arrangements

Old Maple Syrup Tin with Seasonal Sprigs and Berries
Let It Snow Cupcake Party
for Miller Creek Middle School Library

Remember to celebrate the season with what grows locally and in abundance.  It will make your decor and arrangement seem beautifully authentic to your natural environment and home.


Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for the New Year! Maya xo

We are ready to celebrate the season at my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment