Saturday, March 2, 2013

Delicate Beauty of Early Spring Blooms



Daphne Odora
The blooms of early Spring are some of my most favorite of the year because of their delicate beauty and amazing architectural form for each fragile bloom. Daphne Odora is the first to say good-bye to winter and welcome spring with its once woody branches now covered with delicate tiny white and pink trumpets that hold an intoxicating fragrance like not other. It blossoms for a short time lasting about six weeks from January through March. It is my favorite bloom to include in Valentine Bouquets as its winning combination of fragrance and exquisite beauty can't be matched seasonally in my garden.


No other flower brightens my day more in early Spring that the many varieties of Daffodils that pop-up throughout my garden. From tiny yellow trumpets mixing with the tangle of For-Get-Me-Nots to the big bold bright trumpets that stand 2 feet tall the announce that spring is here in there glorious and vibrant varieties. My colorful tulips brighten my day to as the punctuate the garden with their colorful display. The many varieties of Daffodils and Tulips in my garden are always a happy and welcome surprise when they spring up in my garden, as I can't ever remember exactly where I plant them from season to season.


Narcissus, Lily of the Valley, and the many fragile fruit tree blossoms seem to be the most delicate and add soft romantic accents to my garden and arrangements.  Their papery textures really adds an intricate show of delicate blooms in that very short window known as early Spring. These blossoms are always threatened by the strong winds and occasional rain where I live, so I really try to get out doors to enjoy them for their exquisite short bloom.



No comments:

Post a Comment